Paul the Octopus is gone, but we still have these other stupefying examples of zoologial prognostication.
- Punxsutawney Phyllis: piddles on the shoes of any journalist covering Punxsutawney Phil who has fewer than six weeks left of a dignified career.
- Melisma the Moose: goes into a homicidal rage upon hearing a future winner of American Idol.
- Double Helix the Cat: deposits a hairball on the photo of the next winner of the Nobel Prize in medicine.
- Mr. Fed: a horse that forecasts interest rates through the number of times he stomps on a mortgage application.
- Ricky the Mexican Hairless Dog: fetches a ball once for each year a celebrity will stay in the closet.
- Oscar the Rattlesnake: sheds its skin and scurries away before a bad box-office weekend.
- Leona the Bedbug: predicts vacancy rates at New York hotels.